What To See in Corse?
Corse derives its name from meaning marsh or bog when the area was once a muddy wetland. Bearing Celtic roots and origin, it was also densely a wooded area with touches of glades and clearing. It formed a part of the monastic church of Deerhurst which later on became a sub-manor of Westminster Abbey sometime in 1281.
As the woodlands were cleared, the area was known as Corse Lawn and when it was finally cleared and wide open in 1779, it became a great grazing ground for sheep. The area was the plowed a few year later which surprisingly yielded a good amount of cereal crops. This led to two farms producing beans, barley, wheat, and even peas in great quantity.
At present, the village is adjacent to Staunton where their parish is nestled in between two rivers – Severn and Leadon. It is less than 10 miles off from both Tewkesbury and Gloucester. It is also believed that the Snig’s End was the settlement site of workers during the industrial era sometime in 1847 from the National Land Company.
Part of the village is Corse Chase which is similar to a preserve and was believed to have been a big part of the Tewkesbury manor. It extended far beyond the parish of the village and belonged to the Earls of Gloucester. During the 1600’s, there were still a lot of deer in the area and efforts to prevent poaching was undertaken to help preserve the chase.
St Margaret’s Church
Dating back to 12th and 14th century, the St Margaret’s Church beside the Corse Court is one of the top places you need to visit when in this village. Constructed and erected at present in an apple orchard, it is situated in a peaceful rural area.
The Early history of the church dates back during the 1200’s when it was believed to have belonged to the Priory of Deerhurst. At that time, he was one of the most popular and biggest landowners in the area. It was later on believed that the church’s construction was undertaken by the Corse Court.
Apart from the bells that date back between 16th and 17th century the windows themselves are a sight to behold. The 15th-century architecture is evident at the main east window while touches of the 14th century are defined at the chancel and nave of the chapel. The chalice shape font of the church with scallops and cable designs is believed to be the oldest dating back to the 12th century.
Corse Lawn House Hotel
While in the area, another place to look at and probably stay in is the Corse Lawn House Hotel. The owners purchased the property over 35 years ago and lovingly and meticulously transformed it into a lovely hotel it is today. It is anchored in hospitality and service in an old fashioned atmosphere. To top it off, the food in the hotel is superb and prepared by people who aim to make your stay as memorable as possible.