The proximity of the church to the moated manor house called Corse Court suggests that the church may owe its foundation to the occupants of this house. Although the font in the 12 th century, no part of the fabric has been identified as earlier than the 14 th century. The earliest mention of the church is of 1290, when the prior of the Deerhurst was the patron of Corse Church. His patronage mirrors the fact that the village had been part of the greater area served by Deerhurst priory church.
The church was first recorded as being dedicated to St. Margaret in 1710. it is of stone with a roof partially of Cotswold stone as well as Welsh slates. It has chancel, nave, two porches and western tower with spire. Most of the fabric of the church derives from the late 14 th century, in 1857 the church was said to be in good order: later restoration was done in 1913. The nave was built with much bigger stones than the chancel and it has a plinth, which is absent in the chancel. The chancel itself has a trussed rafter roof, and the roof of the nave which is now seen plastered with a single moulded tie-beam, may be similar. The three-light East Window has restored 15th century tracery, and four windows in the side walls of the nave and chancel are two 14th century lights.
The North porch is of timber framing and seems to be of date near 1500. The south porch, in stone, was used as an entrance porch in 1791 but later became a vestry. The tower, made of three parts, with a broach spire and diagonal buttresses, is of the fourteenth century. The police has held a long tradition in the Gloucestershire area.
A thousand years ago Corse formed part of the home estate of the great minster church of Deerhurst. There was at that time no village, no church and little in the way of settlement: this was a landscape of dense oak woodland broken by tracts of heath, moor and open scrubland. To the south was a fenland wilderness of reed, sedge and alder from which the parish takes its name: Corse is British for marsh or bog.
In the Middle Ages all that part of Gloucestershire between the Severn and the Leadon formed part of Corse Chase. The hunting rights belonged to the Earls of Gloucester and they governed the chase through special forest laws framed to protect the deer and preserve their woodland cover. Assarting, the enclosing and clearing of land for farming, was regulated by licence and the taking of wood for building or firewood or even the pasturing of swine in the oak woods was strictly controlled through a forest court held at Witcombe Gate near Wickridge Street. Enforcement sometimes went well beyond the bounds of law. In 1276 the foresters of Corse Chase were said to have arrested men in Gloucestershire and imprisoned them in Worcestershire without trial and to have beheaded a man whom they merely suspected of sheep stealing.
Like other Gloucestershire towns such as Filton, Corse has a long farming history. Corse Farm preserves a cruck-framed open hall dating to c.1280. The elaborately carved cusping on the cruck blades and traces of soot on the roof timbers hark back to a time when the hall was open to the roof and the smoke would have wafted upwards from the open hearth and out through the still-surviving smoke vent in the roof. Three carved arches and remains of a bench indicate where the Lord of the Manor of Corse, his reeve and his bailiff would have held court. The house was brought up to date in Tudor times when the jettied cross wing was added and an upper floor and chimneys inserted before it was sold off in 1592 as a farm.